Watch the movie, X finds out his value, and answer the following questions.
Given the following:
2x + 4 + x = 8 + 2(3 + x) -3
- Is this an expression or an equation? Why?
- What is the variable?
- Why is an equation like a see-saw?
- Simplify 2x + 4 + x Answer: ___________________
- Simplify 8 + 2(3 + x) -3 Answer: ___________________
- Solve the above for x Answer: x = ________________
The objective of the activity is to use concrete representation to find the unknown variable. Algebraic reasoning is used to solve or find the numerical value of the variable.
- Levels 1 and 2 contain two scales.
- Level 3 is more difficult and has three scales.
- Your goal is to determine the weight of one or more of the objects.
Click HERE to attempt.
Source: Math Playground (retrieved: 14 March 2010)